Wednesday, July 21, 2010




in the midst of the chaos of saigon i am starting to find some thongs i really enjoy. i don't enjoy being unable to communicate with people, i don't enjoy everyones rude attitude, i don't enjoy sleeping on a box spring with no mattress, and i don't enjoy being quizzed down about my wage and relationship status by hostesses at the bars. i do enjoy my new job, working at a preschool. the kids are adorable and a ton of fun. i leave every day with a smile on my face. i also really enjoy watching the lightning storms from my roof. every few days a good storm will roll in and i'll go up to the rooftop patio with a bottle of scotch and my ipod to watch. the sheet lightning lights up the city and for a second the raindrops freeze mid air like a giant flash bulb popping. when the storm gets closer the thunder is so loud it shakes the air out of my chest and when the lightning bolts are so close i can see the raindrops exploding i can feel the electricity in my bones. watching these storms is my favorite pastime here. it makes me feel so small and insignificant, like my troubles aren't real there just in my head. this is when i feel at peace in saigon, standing in the rain watching a storm.

1 comment:

  1. that is one thing that always bummed me out about the nw because lighting and thunder are totally rad and if there is going to be a storm it might as well be a blow out.

    ReplyDelete